Sure as the sun rises, eventually those lazy summer days will turn to pumpkin spice everything and fall will arrive. One of the most important things you can do to prepare yourself for this eventuality is to make sure you are “rodent ready” and you have done some rat proofing. Here are five tips we’ve put together that will help you make a big difference in keeping these pests away.
- Get Your Yard in Order – Sometimes it is easy for your yard to get away from you in the summertime. Not only is everything in “growth mode” but chances are you are busy with vacations and spending time with family and friends. Take some time to get your yard in shape. After all, when your yard is overgrown and in rough shape it is more appealing to rats and other pests. Keep the grass cut back and trim back limbs, branches, bushes and other overgrowth to give pests fewer places to hide.
- Be Trash Smart – What does your outdoor trash situation look like? It may be time to invest in a better solution. If you have an outdoor trash can that is easy to get into, rats and other pests are going to hang around and see what you have to offer. Cans that are secured (and clean) are a much better option. Keep them a good distance from the home too, just in case.
- Secure Entry Points – Check your home for holes and unsecured entry points. If you make it more difficult for rats and mice to enter your home, they will move on to easier targets. Just remember that small rodents can enter holes as small as a quarter, so the smallest holes must be fixed and secured–this is a must-do form of pest control rodent proofing.
- Clean and Sanitize Your Kitchen – Pull everything out of your pantry and cupboards and sanitize them. When you have crumbs and food residue at the ready, your home becomes a simple place for rats and mice to move to if the weather turns chilly or wet in the fall. Taking a few simple precautions will at least make you seem like a less appealing target than other homes in the area.
- Watch Out for Pet Food – When you are rat proofing your home, remember the same food you feed your pets can easily become dinner for rats and mice, if you’re not careful. Make sure you store the food in an airtight container and only feed small amounts so it doesn’t sit uneaten where it can attract pests.
As always, pest control rodent proofing is one of the best ways to keep these annoying critters at bay. Make an appointment at American Rat Control today and let us help you get ready for fall. On the other hand, if you have noticed that they have already infiltrated your home, we can assist you with rat removal service so you can take your home back!