In the past few years, I have noticed an increase in the number of unlicensed rat control companies emerging on the scene. They come in and promise fast fixes to your rat infestation. They come out for a free estimate and take a quick look at your home or business, then throw out a number (estimate) to fix the holes, clean out the attic space and re-insulate. They say they can do this all in one day.
I have been in the rat control business for 30 years, and I am here to tell you that they can’t rat proof, clean out the attic and re-insulate in one day. These unlicensed companies also don’t have workers comp. What if one of their employees falls through your ceiling and gets a major injury (God forbid), the employee will have to sue you because you have the deeper pockets and they were on your property.
These unlicensed rat companies or rats stop companies, are not licensed to trap Rats or even re-insulate your attic space, they are breaking the law and putting you and your property at risk. I have had customers tell me they have a magic product that will make the rats not want to be in the attic space. Take it from me, these products don’t work! But it sounds good when giving an estimate to a freaked out customer who wants the rats removed from their home, and they want the rats removed now.
You can easily check to see if a company is licensed (CSPCB):
- They show you a License from (DPR) The Department of Pesticide Regulations or from the (CSLB) Contractors State License Board
- Are not holding the correct license to perform rat trapping on your property
- Must have a license issued by the California Structural Pest Control Board
- The (CSPCB) requires a person must show experience before taking and passing a written test to obtain a license
In California, a rat control company must be licensed by the California Structural Pest Control Board to perform rat control on a structure.
Check the link above to see if the company that gave you an estimate is licensed if not run from them and call a licensed rat Control company.
IF YOU HIRE AN UN-LICENSED RAT CONTROL COMPANY, YOU MAY HAVE NO REAL RECOURSE TO RECOVER DAMAGE THEY MAY CAUSE TO YOUR PROPERTY.
Things that can go wrong…
- The unlicensed rat control companies employees falls through the ceiling and gets injured – an unlicensed rat control company does not have workers comp, you pay the hospital bill
- The unlicensed rat control companies employee trips on electrical wires in your attic and does not report it; fire waiting to happen. Who do you sue? Will your insurance company cover the damage caused by an unlicensed rat control company?
- What if the unlicensed rat control company installs bad insulation they had sitting around their yard, it’s its infested with bugs, and bacteria?
- What if rats get back into your home and create a mess in the attic again, will an unlicensed company return and re-clean your attic space?
Just a few things to think about when considering hiring a Rat Control company…
President, American Rat Control Inc.